Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pre-Tech

I came across someone's Blog which described a lunch the writer had with a fellow Paulist here in NY. Needless to say, he is a bit astounded that I even know what they ate at the lunch. We laughed at the amazing capacity of modern technology to monitor and access almost everything. I happen to be someone who loves the wizardry of it all, but I also know many people who find it very upsetting, even frightening. I find it difficult now to really remember what it was all like before (which is most of my years). I was using the term, "pre-email," one night in describing some of those bad old days to a younger colleague. It is true that a red line does separate this age from the "pre-email" and all that symbolizes. There may be costs in terms of privacy and community but I am so grateful to have lived long enough to have all these experiences which hold out only one promise - lots more where that came from.