Monday, January 09, 2006

Truthiness

I did not misspell the word in the title here because the American Dialect Society picked truthiness as the word of 2005, with blog as second. On a Media Blog about NY, the following announces the news and the slight controversy over its, can I say, truthfulness.

"Truthiness" was defined by the ADS as "the quality of preferring concepts or facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true." I think that's actually not entirely accurate. My impression was that truthiness referred to "the quality of seeming to be true, or of being spun to seem true despite what actually is true." I do agree with North Carolina State University lexicology professor Michael Adams, who said "truthiness" means "truthy, not facty." That statement is both truthy AND facty. Unlike the AP article.

Nothing could be truer that the emergence of truthiness as the word of 2005.