Saturday, November 19, 2005

Beauty

I remember that many years ago I flew from the barren Holy Land to Italy. I recall thinking very much about the apostles, Peter, Paul and the other early Christians who also traveled to Italy from the Holy Land (without, of course, the ease of my flight). Surely somewhere in this migration was a recognition that beauty needed to be added to the virtues of Christianity. Natural beauty in Italy would have been such a new experience, while the lovely early art and architecture must have impressed them, as it still does to us today. I thought of the role of beauty in our lives of prayer, faith and worship, as I roamed the magnificent Fra Angelico Exhibit at the MET the other day, and renewed those thought as I walked back and forth to the museum through the autumnal splendor of Central Park.