Friday, August 26, 2005

Lance Armstrong and Doping

Although I am also a cancer survivor, I have not been able to become enthusiastic about Lance Armstrong's attacks on those with cancer who rely on prayer and contact with God along with their treatment. I have also found his personal life with his wife and children to be very self-centered, destructive and unappealing. As a result, I often feel like I'm the only person on a subway train who is not wearing the yellow bracelet. Reading today's accounts of the testing that was done on him as far back as 1999, I begin to believe that, while he wasn't relying on prayer or marriage fidelity, he was also not the lone, gritty individual facing all odds alone that emerges from the images. He was getting a little help, a shot or two here and there. Not the greatest of all crimes, true, but it does explain a lot that I have been trying to fathom. Prove me wrong and I will actually rejoice but I think the perfect one got some help.