Monday, June 06, 2005

Miracles

Fortunately I have never been called on to affirm or deny a miracle. I have certainly heard many, many accounts in which people deeply belive that a miracle happened to them. Recently I witnessed a profound change in attitude in someone I've know for years. Is it a miracle? Many other people that I've known have undergone a similar change or conversion. Does that disqualify it as a miracle? I consider my own cancer journey a miracle of sorts but my non-believing oncologist, while not at all hostile to the spiritual, would see no need to invoke any supernatural power. He says its a case of treatment and drugs working very well and my being able to tolerate it all quite well. So even though my outcome so far may be rare and even unexpected, does it merit the label of miracle. I just don't know and a large part of me says that I don't need to know.