Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday, Cancer and Meaning

Early this morning, Fr. Frank Diskin put the ashes on my head and I began my Lenten reflections. Now I am leaving to cross Manhattan for my regular check and treatment at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. I expect it to be routine, thank God. Yet this monthly visit is another opportunity, as is Ash Wed, to acknowledge death. The reality of death provides me with an horizon against which my life is played out. It creates a perspective for my present moment and a hope for the future. Nothing really sad or morbid comes to me from these thoughts and realities, but I understand it all as a opening into the fullness of life. I ask your prayer for my cancer treatments but also for all who struggle with this and other diseases, and for all those who do research to cure or alleviate illnesses.